Surf...and stuff

This is about 70% a surf blog, but the other 30% is other shit from hockey to complete randomness.

sonsofkerouac:

Mitch Crews is through to round three in his maiden Teahupoo event.

Photo: Ed Sloane

sonsofkerouac:

In two foot slop or ten foot Chopes, world number one, Gabs Medina, is looking menacing

Photo: Ed Sloane

sonsofkerouac:

Nathan Hedge – the everyman’s hero after his ten point ride and subsequent victory

Photo: Ed Sloane

sonsofkerouac:

The Hog, not afraid to wear his heart on his sleeve.

Photo: Ed Sloane

sonsofkerouac:

Owen Wright proved it was the travel time and not the exit sign that matters to the judges in his round one victory.

Photo: Ed Sloane

rtamerica:

Black TV producer on way to Emmys party mistaken for bank robber, handcuffed, held for six hours

An African-American film producer in Beverly Hills for an Emmy pre-party was handcuffed and detained for around six hours on Friday night as police believed he fit the description of a suspect in a nearby bank robbery.

Charles Belk said he left a restaurant alone to refill a parking meter when he was suddenly surrounded by six police cars “handcuffed very tightly, fully searched for weapons, and placed back on the curb,” he wrote on his Facebook page with an accompanying photo of him sitting on the curb as two police officers stand close by. 

raind0wn:

hyyy-errr:

rxdicvl:

dichotomization:

On June 11th 1963, Thích Quảng Đức, a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, sat down in the middle of a busy intersection in Saigon, covered himself in gasoline and he then ignited a match, and set himself on fire. Đức burned to death in a matter of minutes, and he was immortalized in a famous photograph taken by a reporter who was in Vietnam in order to photograph the war. All those who saw this spectacle were taken by the fact that Duc did not make a sound while burning to death. Đức was protesting President Ngô Đình Diệm’s administration for oppressing the Buddhist religion.

holy shit. 

I was waiting for this to come up on my dash. You also can’t forget that his whole body burned, but his heart remained intact and did not burn.

Ask yourself if you love something so much that you would risk the flames for it. 

self immolation in buddhism is fuckin intense shit! buddhists are super rad!

swannsavior:

Why I love Tumblr + Smooth

eternalstarblaze:

amieworkbench:

every day of my life i laugh about sonic maurice hedgehog

So that’s what people are talking about when they say “smh”…

eternalstarblaze:

amieworkbench:

every day of my life i laugh about sonic maurice hedgehog

So that’s what people are talking about when they say “smh”…

sonsofkerouac:

A lot of rules don’t apply to people as cool as Billy Hamilton. Ain’t fair, but there you go. Self-contradiction, for example. Hamilton was so cool that he could lay down a fist-pounding-on-table anit-contest rap (“contests should not fit into surfing, and surfing should not fit into contests”), while at the same time cashing checks from big North Shore events—dude was a three-time Duke finalist, and ’71 Smirnoff runner-up—and nobody called bullshit. Meanwhile, Hamilton’s surf-musings were outstandingly hippy-dippy, even by the fatuous standard of the era. Here’s a taste, from a 1975 Surfing article: “We all have our individual rhythms and tempos, which we use in accordance with the various evolutionary patterns of time and space.” Fifteen-hundreds words of that. And every surfer on earth, saveFlippy Hoffman and Bluey Mayes, read that article, nodded his shaggy unwashed head, and muttered “Right on.

Hamilton got away with this and more because he was surfing’s Jesus of Cool. I mean, the hair alone. A perfect marcelled dirty-blonde comb-back, in combination with a tidy middleweight pushbroom moustache that made Gerry Lopez‘ face furniture look pubescent and weak by comparison. Add black Wayfarers, a closetful of well-fitted glam-casual clothes and a Robert Redford smile, and Hamilton’s cool was redlining before he even set foot in the water—where the whole effect was multiplied into something that made you feel the rapture was nigh. And I choose the word carefully. Surfers throughout the years have talked of having a personal relationship with Christ. Okay, but the Savior actually gave Hamilton style tips. Billy’s sublime frontside cutback? It’s based on a picture of Jesus giving the Sermon on the Mount, arms raised and fingers pointed with divine Raphaelesquebeauty. Hamilton stared at it for hours. Decided he didn’t want to cutback like Corky or David. He wanted to cutback like God.

Did he pull it? Watch the clip. Tell me Jesus isn’t smiling.

(Photo: Art Brewer)

More Information